It is a legal requirement for organisations with 5 or more staff to carry out documented health and safety risk assessments of all of their significant hazards. Although it is your responsibility to undertake risk assessments on your premises Walker Health and safety services offer risk assessment services and can support your through the process. Click here to email us with your enquiry.
The Health & Safety Executive guidance advocates a 5 step approach to risk assessments:
1. Identify the hazards present (a hazard is anything with the potential to cause harm e.g. slippery floors, electrical equipment, lifting heavy objects, stress, machinery, fire etc.).
2. Identify the people at risk from the hazards e.g. employees, contractors, visitors etc. Particularly vulnerable employees should also be considered e.g. young people and new/expectant mothers.
3. Evaluate the risk, taking into account the likelihood and severity of any accidents. Existing controls in place should be identified and evaluated.
4. Record the findings on a suitable form.
5. Review the risk assessment regularly.
Risk assessments are vital to creating a healthy, safe working environment. You will need to perform a risk assessment to identify and avoid hazards and risks in your workplace, regardless of the size of your business. You can then help to prevent occupational accidents and ill health by taking precautionary measures.
Walker Health and Safety Services can support you through the risk assessment process or can carry out the risk assessments on your behalf. You are still responsible for risk assessments on your premises.
Please use the contact form below to enquire about our services: