Ensure Your Health and Safety Policies are Effective and Adhered to
As an employer you have a multitude of responsibilities for ensuring the safety of your staff, contractors, visitors, public, customers, whoever may come to your premises. To successfully outline your expectations and intentions you will need to write a selection of policy statements.
Ranging from health and safety to data protection this task can seem daunting, but it doesn’t have to be. Ensure that policies are effective and adhered too by carrying out inspections and audits.
Tips to Ensure Your Health and Safety Policies are Effective and Adhered to
- Ensure that all policies are suitable, succinct and relevant to their subject. Don’t make them too long, or ask readers to refer to multiple additional documents – keep everything in one place as much as possible.
- Make sure they are written by persons with the relevant technical or health and safety knowledge, and that they are signed off at a senior level. Check that the contents accurately reflect what happens on the ground – policy writers should read the relevant risk assessments and observe the actual work before writing a policy to ensure all hazards/controls have been identified.
- Ensure workers have access to the policies – if they are stored electronically, make sure those workers without access to a computer have paper copies. Explain the contents of policies and make sure workers have the opportunity to ask questions if they don’t understand what they need to do.
- Make sure policies are updated periodically, taking into account any changes in the workplace or to legislation.
- Instigate regular checks to ensure policies are being followed. Report on compliance at health and safety meetings, and give responsibilities and accountability to senior staff members to ensure the policy requirements are fulfilled.
Contact us if you require assistance.
Find this helpful?
Signup to our email notifications to receive alerts when we publish new blogs. We promise not to spam your inbox, you will just get a short snappy intro to Health and Safety blogs we think you will love.