It’s really important that we are all ready to challenge stupid decisions made in the name of health and safety.
Not only do the jobs worth’s who make these ridiculous comments waste time and money, and interfere needlessly with harmless activities, they also undermine the efforts to reduce the number of people made ill, injured or killed by their work.
There’s a lot myths about what health and safety requires, and a good deal of confusion.
Top ten myths:
1. Driver refused to allow customer on bus with hot drink because of health and safety
2. Bar refused to let customer carry tray of drinks because they had not been ‘health and safety trained’
3. Charity shop has said that they cannot sell knitting needles for health and safety reasons
4. Public hall removed knives from kitchen on the grounds of health and safety
5. Shop refused to put coffee in customer’s own reusable cup on the grounds of health and safety
6. Airline passenger told boiled sweets were no longer provided on the grounds of health and safety
7. Hotel chain does not provide floor towels due to ‘Health and Safety’
8. Fish & chip shop told customer he could not have ‘batter scraps’ for health and safety reasons
9. School bans yo-yos on health and safety grounds
10 Office workers advised that kettles and microwaves were not allowed due to health and safety requirements
Call Walker health and safety services for no nonsense health and safety advice.
0845 834 0400.
Find this helpful?
Signup to our email notifications to receive alerts when we publish new blogs. We promise not to spam your inbox, you will just get a short snappy intro to Health and Safety blogs we think you will love.